Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Book You Did Not Finish

It's Top 5 Wednesday time again, and this week we are covering the top 5 books you did not finish. I've picked up quiet a few books in my time that I didn't finish. I've tried to give them a couple shots, and for whatever reason, I just could not get into it. Her'es my top 5.

1) V for Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd


I watched the movie and really enjoyed it so I wanted to dig into the graphic novel, hoping for a much better, more in depth story. But as I tried to read it, if I remember correctly, it is just packed full of more detail about dystopian type of society that the movie shows, and kind of confused me a bit. I may have been able to get more into it later in the story, but I just couldn't get pass for the first few pages. I tried the same thing a few years later when Watchmen came out as a movie, but in that case I WAS able to dive into the graphic novel, which is weird, because that's dealing with a lot of complex scenarios as well. But yeah, loved the movie, just couldn't finish the graphic novel.


2) Congo by Michael Crichton


So this is an oldie, and truth be told, I should probably give it another go. The movie came out and my step-dad, being the constant reader he is, had the book and told me I should check it out. I tried and tried to get into it, but just couldn't. The reason I say I should give it another try, is because growing up I just wasn't a reader. Reluctant reader is an understatement. But, a year later I read "A Time To Kill", and although reading didn't stick at the time, I did finish it and enjoyed it. I know, it's a different author, but I've read a lot more since then, so maybe I should give this one another try.


3)Storykiller by Kelly Thompson


This one burns a little, and I haven't totally given up on reading it yet, but I've tried three times, and so far I keep putting it back down. The reason it burns is because I backed this project on Kickstarter. I was, and still am, really excited about the concept of a girl who has to fight mythical storybook characters. It sounds awesome, but I've only gotten three chapters in, and each time I put it down. Something about it just isn't keeping my attention, it might be the dialogue, I don't know. But like I said, I love the idea, so I'm sure I'll pick it up again eventually. Just not sure when.


2) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


So, as I've stated, I was a reluctant reader. Always have been. But, guess what book got me reading again and back into creating stories and really wanting me to pursue becoming a full-time author. Twilight. People can hate it, but a friend I used to work with  was reading the first book before the movies came out and lent it to me when she was finished. I think I read it cover to cover in a week, which was fast for me, especially back then. Why am I telling you this? Because Wuthering Heights is referenced in the Twilight books, and I thought to myself, "Hmm, I should check that book out." No. I've tried a handful of times to read this book and I can't do it. It's complicated to get through it, and then when I started to understand what I was reading, it just did not keep my attention. Maybe one day I'l try again, but probably not anytime soon.




1) Divergent by Veronica Roth


I think I've tried to read this book three or four times. Each time I haven't gotten past the bus scene in the first chapter, which is only a couple pages in.  I just can't do it. I know a couple people who really love the book and keep telling me to give it another shot, but every time I do, it's just... BLAH! Then as I was watching through random booktuber vid's I came across Ginger Reads Lainey's video about how she hated the third book, Allegiant. Knowing I hadn't finished the first book and probably wasn't going to read it any time soon, I watched the video (which can be found here) and not only laughed at how mad Lainey got, but it kinda settled it for me. I don't need to read the book. Plus, there's really no interest in the movies either, I haven't seen either one yet.

So there you have it, my top five for this week of books I have not finished. I'm sure there are others but these were the first one's to come to mind. If you're interested in Top 5 Wednesday the goodreads group is found HERE and Ginger Reads Lainey's youtube page is HERE.


See you in the funny pages



No comments:

Post a Comment