Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Series Novellas






This is my first post for T5W (links below the post) and while I'm excited to start updating the blog with these posts, I think the first month or two might be a bit bare. I haven't always been the fiercest reader, as a matter of fact, growing up I was a very reluctant reader. But as a writer, I know I need to read more, so I'm hoping doing this exercise of blogging about books, and watching booktubers and their Top 5 Wednesday posts, will give me more recommendations on books to read.


Also, just as a side note, I am a cartoonist and love comic books, so inserted in my Top 5 Wednesday posts, I will include comics. Because I like comics. Bowties comics are cool.



Anyways, let's get on with it, shall we?

This week's T5W is Favorite Series Novellas. 

I've only read or started to read a couple novella series, so in this list, I'm going to include some series that I've been wanting to read, but just haven't had a chance yet. (This list is in no specific order.)

First is The Eva Series, by author J.M. Wilde

This is a series I just recently discovered as I was looking for a good zombie story to read and came across this. "As They Rise" is the first story in a three part series, and it was really good. Towards the end of the story, while they are at the gas station (no spoilers), I found myself cringe with anticipation on what was gonna happen next. I'm really looking forward to getting into the second part, "While We Fall".


Second is another series, I haven't finished yet, but thoroughly enjoyed the first two stories. It's "The Flash Gold Chronicles" by Lindsay Buroker.

A steampunk adventure story, almost like a old western, but set in the Yukon, Flash Gold is the first in the series. about a girl named Kali trying to win a race for the prize money to get her out of her surroundings. Filled with steampunk inventions, airships, and some alchemy, it's right up my alley, and I really need to find the time to finish the other two novellas in this, so far, four part series.

The next three are some series that I haven't read yet, but I've got on my "to read" list.

Fat Vampire by Johnny B Truant

This is the description that hooked me, taken from the Amazon page:
"When overweight treadmill salesman Reginald Baskin finally meets a co-worker who doesn't make fun of him, it's just his own bad luck that tech guy Maurice turns out to be a two thousand-year-old vampire.

And when Maurice turns Reginald to save his life, it's just Reginald's own further bad luck that he wakes up to discover he's become the slowest, weakest, most out-of-shape vampire ever born, doomed to "heal" to his corpulent self for all of eternity.
As Reginald struggles with the downsides of being a fat vampire -- too slow to catch people to feed on, mocked by those he tries to glamour, assaulted by his intended prey and left for undead -- he discovers in himself rare powers that few vampires have… and just in time too, because the Vampire Council might just want his head for being an inferior representative of their race."
I gotta get into this one, it sounds funny and exciting.

Forth is Hugh Howey's Wool (Silo Series)
 This has been on my list for quiet some time and I just haven't gotten to it yet. Hugh Howey is most likely a house-hold name to the indie publishers out there and this series got Howey a lot of mainstream attention. It's a post-apocalyptic, science fiction tale, both subjects I'm a fan of. I have the first one on my Kindle, I just need to read it.

And lastly, is another Hugh Howey one, called Beacon 23. 
 Here's the description from the Amazon page: "For centuries, men and women have manned lighthouses to ensure the safe passage of ships. It is a lonely job, and a thankless one for the most part. Until something goes wrong. Until a ship is in distress. 

In the 23rd century, this job has moved into outer space. A network of beacons allows ships to travel across the Milky Way at many times the speed of light. These beacons are built to be robust. They never break down. They never fail. 

At least, they aren't supposed to."

So that's it. No comics in this week's T5W, mostly because there aren't really novella series in comic books. If it's a series, it's fully loaded issues to make a full graphic novel, and if it doesn't sell well, then the series get's cut short with only a volume or two. I might have cheated a little by listing two Howey series, but they both sound really cool.

That's it for this week's Top 5 Wednesday. I'll have another Top 5 next week with the next topic.

If you're curious about T5W, it was created by Ginger Reads Lainey and the goodreads group can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment